Monday, February 02, 2009

Refined Lap Babette

I finished a small version of Babette last April and noticed after taking it out of the dryer that it was full of holes due to my shoddy seaming even though I followed these great directions. I stashed it in the closet and there it stayed until last weekend's great stash tidy. I decided that I would redo all the seaming and give it to my Grandfather for his 78th birthday (my Grandmother mentioned he sits in the living room in his coat because he stays chilled). I was really dreading this task, but it was so much easier than I thought it would be. It only took a few hours over the course of a couple days to reseam the entire thing. Armed with a crochet hook, I started with the outer section and worked my way toward the center working one section at a time. (This shows the seaming on the wrong side.)If anyone is interested, here is the method I used... With the wrong side facing me and the yarn held underneath I lined up the sides of the squared to be attached. Starting in the ch 2 corner space I slipped stitch in the top motif then slipped stitch in the corresponding space in the bottom motif. I worked back and forth making sure to catch both loops in each slip stitch. This time I made sure to leave long tails to weave in, as I think that was part of my holey problem last time. I like the little zig-zag effect this creates on the back. Also, since I used the same color to seam all the squares I think the final result is a little more cohesive and pleasing to the eye.
(This is the seaming on the right side.)
I hope Pop likes it!