Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Visiting leaves little time for knitting...

I broke away from my hermit-like existance this past weekend and had visitors over the weekend, two of which I had never met. My friend J that lives in Hotlanta came for a visit with her boyfriend and a friend of hers visiting from London, England. We had a great time, lots of drinking, dice playing and chatter. The Gaming One decreed that there was to be no knitting while we had visitors (he thinks it is rude to knit when others are around- God forbid I try to knit in public!) and I complied. So my hoover blanket sat abandoned all weekend crying out to me "don't you still love me? why have you forsaken me?" I quitely assured hoover I would be back on monday.
Monday rolled around and I went to visit my parents while they were in town. They are long haul truck drivers and I only get to see them every 6 weeks or so. After spending the whole day at their house with all the noise that goes with it I was ready to reunite with hoover and a very stiff vodka tonic. I knit, watched Medium and sipped my VT, happy as a pig in shit. As I finished my VT I looked back over my progress thus far. Keep in mind, I was not only double knitting, I was working a star chart as well, so I would not get bored with straight knitting and purling. This is when the cursing started. I realized when I lovingly looked at hoover with its beautiful stars shining on their reverse backgrounds, that at the beginning of the last five rows I knit I forgot to twist the yellow and blue yarn at the edge. Well, if you have ever double knit you will realize that in doing so, I was not connecting my front and back pieces. Furthermore, I had no clue as how to join them, so I did what I usually do when I make a big mistake since I hate picking up stitches, I frogged...all six inches of my blanket. And I thought I was going to cry. Seriously ya'll I wanted to cry. But I didn't. Instead I sulked, drank another VT (The Gaming One brought me one before I could even ask!) and passed out on the sofa. I really wanted to have hoover finished before the start of the Knitting Olympics, but looks like that ain't happening now....

On a slightly different note I stumbled across this quiz What Kind of Knitter Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla


Knitting Adventurer
You appear to be a Knitting Adventurer.
You are through those knitting growing pains and feeling more adventurous. You can follow a standard pattern if it's not too complicated and know where to go to get help. Maybe you've started to experiment with different fibers and you might be eyeing a book with a cool technique you've never tried. Perhaps you prefer to stick to other people's patterns but you are trying to challenge yourself more. Regardless of your preference, you are continually trying to grow as a knitter, and as well you should since your non-knitting friends are probably dropping some serious hints, these days.
http://marniemaclean.com

Ahhh...so true!

1 comment:

Persnickety Knitter said...

Not allowed to knit in front of anyone? GASP! I don't know how I would survive.