Wednesday, August 20, 2008

So little time, so much to do.

Things have been crazy busy around here lately. The kiddos new homeschool year officially started which means tons of work for me- The Boy Wonder is in the 2nd grade and The Girl Wonder is in the 7th. It is worth every second to see all they are learning and to be able to give them a little extra understanding when certain subjects are difficult. It seems most of my personal computer time is devoted to checking resources, printing worksheets and general curriculum planning. This year both the kiddos wanted to move away from the unschooling approach we have taken in years past and use a more structured curriculum. The Girl Wonder especially thinks it is important since she is not too far from high school level classes and thinks the extra structure will help her get into a better college. Gah, my baby girl sure is growing up!
There has also been this very interesting reality show on TV that has been consuming many hours of my life. Perhaps you have caught an episode or two- it may be hard to find since it is only on every couple of years...I think it is called The Olympics. The Gaming One has been picking on me about having a crush on the swimmers. I keep telling him it is just their stamina I have a crush on...but now that I am thinking about it, the longest they go at it is 7 minutes, and that is just not enough...

I did not join the Knitting Olympics this year, because I knew that I would be out of town for a weekend family reunion and knitting time would be limited. I have two large projects on the needles (the Lovely Lacy Shawl and the Feather and Fan blanket) neither of which were suitable for knitting during family gatherings. The very lovely and sweet Andrea sent me (3 skeins of Schoeller and Stahl Socktina Cotton) sock yarn and a knitting pouch (that really makes me wish I had her sewing skills) as part of a blog contest prize- the perfect combo for on the go knitting. So right before I left, I decided to cast on a pair of socks to take with me. I divided the skein into two balls and started each sock on the same color repeat so I would have matching socks. I also wanted to make sure I would not lose a needle or leave one at home (like I have done in the past) so I decided to learn how to knit two socks on one circular needle. I feel like a genius! Look Ma, No Ladders! Matching Socks! No Second Sock Syndrome!

Finally, if you have read this far, there has been a little health scare over the past few weeks in my extended family and it turns out my father in law has to have heart by-pass surgery this Friday. So if you have a minute, say a prayer and send some good vibes his way.

I am hoping to be able to carve out an hour or so to catch up (and comment) on all your blogs. I have been a very bad blog friend, but hope to read you all soon!

5 comments:

Lara said...

Definite prayers for your FIL. It is a scary surgery but I am sure he will do fine.

Again, I don't know how you homeschool! I so admire it cuz I couldn't do it! Sounds like Girl Wonder has a good head on he shoulders - good job!

Andrea said...

Hey Girl,

I'm just catching up on my reading also. Sorry to hear about your FIL. You know I'll be saying a prayer for him. I always said if I had any kids I'd want to homeschool too. If it ever happens, I'll be contacting you. I have to give my props to you. You're doing a fantastic job as a mom and a teacher. Your kids have good heads on their shoulders.

I love the socks. They are turning out great. I can only do 2 socks on 2 circulars. I'm going to have to learn the one needle method. Thanks for the link.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Sending good vibes and prayers your father in laws way.Hugs Darcy

urbanknitrix said...

Sending good vibes and cyber hugs!! I admire you for homeshooling your kids. If my daughter did not get accepted to her current high school, I would be homeschooling. The schools in D.C. suck.

Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}} and prayers to you & the family...hope your FIL makes it through just fine.

I love those socks! And congrats on learning how to knit on circs. I am so behind!