Monday, September 04, 2006

no blogging does not mean no knitting!

I have been knitting up a storm since I last blogged. The past month has been crazy around here. We spent one week in the mountains for the Gaming One's annual family reunion. The Girl Wonder explored her thrill seeking side by jumping off a bridge into one of the local rivers! She was at least 15 feet above the water. I told her that if she jumped I would...however, I lied! That water was so cold I did not even put my toes in. She jumped with her uncle instead, twice! She was so proud of herself and immediatly wanted to do it again!
Our return home marked the official start of our school year! The kiddos are homeschooled and this year the Boy Wonder started kindergarten, so that means a bit more on my plate, teaching wise. I do not know how those ladies that have large homeschooling families do it! my hat is off to y'all. Just two weeks into our school year the in-laws invited me and the kids to spend a week with them at their beach house! One of the many perks of homeschooling...the flexibility!
The water was nice and warm, I got lots of knitting time in and the kids were well behaved! We survived the first hurricane of the season while there...it was very exciting as there was no damage just lost of wind and rain...PawPaw took the kids to the beach as the storm was approaching to check out the waves in the pouring rain, of course they thought it was cool to say they were on the beach during the hurricane! So now that we are all caught up on to the knitting!
First the FO's! First off is the Silk Corset Top. This has to be my favorite knit EVER! It is everything I hoped it would be and more! Pattern: Silk Corset Top
Size: medium-I could have knit a smaller size, I think the top lace section would be a bit more snug, but it is very comfy!
needles: size 4 circs
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Worsted-mc= bachelor's button, cc=cloud


Pattern:Razor cami Needles:size 4 circs Yarn:Knit Picks Shine-mc=orchid, cc=cloud

mods:I wanted a more bra-friendly option, so I knit the front of the top section in stockinette stitch starting with a yo, k2tog round just below the boobline and ending with the same ribbing pattern from the bottom. On the back I continued the ribbing for the bottom. I crocheted around the arm and neck holes for a more finished look. I also crocheted a chain to thread throught the eyelets created by the yo, k2togs. However, I ran out of yarn so it is not bra-friendly at all. Now I have a sexy cami to wear around the house for The Gaming One. The straps could be a bit shorter, but there is no way in hell I am taking out all the crochet edging to fix it. All told I really like it.



Now for the UFO's
Fetching in alpaca laceweight held double.












I finished another section of the Lovely Lacy Shawl. 2 sections down, 5 to go!












Last night I cast on the Shelia Capelet...I am using much smaller needles than the pattern calls for (sz 8 instead of sz11) and did not check my gauge, so this may be frogged or I may have to add a few pattern repeats...I really just wanted to see how this yarn knit up... I knit this pattern before with a white mohair-like acrylic over a year ago. Looking at it now I can see all the mistakes I made then and how far my knitting has progressed...that was also before I realized that there was such a thing as wool that was not itchy...mmmm merino

Socks for The Gaming One using this Knitty pattern. My foot is there for reference...If these were for me they would be finished by now. Not to mention it took at least 6 hours (and three attempts) to successfully turn the heel. By the second attempt I was seriously doubting my knitting ability, then I picked up an Interweave Knits and followed their directions for short rows and all was well with the world! I am not a moron after all, I just could not wrap my brain around the knitty directions. Does anyone know if Knit Picks Essential softens up a bit in the wash?


I also started a Somewhat Cowl for myself...I plan on knitting it with shorter sleeves than the pattern calls for and less of a cowl.










I am also making another attempt in knitting a fabulous baby blanket for my newest nephew! The blanket is five months in the making and I have had many false starts, as of today I am about 15 rows into it...could it be that I just hate it because it is knit with acrylic?

7 comments:

Lara said...

Wow, you have got a lot done! I LOVE the corset. It is beautiful. The razor cami is great also. May have to consider that one next year! Isn't it amazing how much your knitting can progress in a year? It will only continue to get better. Glad you are back to blogging!

melinda said...

I, for one, am very impressed. Welcome back!

K. said...

Hello hottie!!!!!! Loooooove the corset and the tank!

DAWN said...

I don't even know what to say. . . well, first off, welcome back. Glad you had a terrific time and the girl is so brave! Love all the stuff esp. the corset, WOW!

TheSteph said...

I'm still working on my first SWC! I keep getting bored with it. I spent so much on the damn yarn, you'd think I'd finish it but NO! Now that it's getting cooler, maybe you'll inspire me to pick it back up...

Your stuff looks great lately! :)

Persnickety Knitter said...

Love the corset and tank. They both look great on you. And, man, that is one big sock. ;)

I know what you mean about loving the flexibility of homeschooling. It's great not to be tied to the school vacation schedule.

Anonymous said...

I really like your cami. I think the modifications you made were spot on and the colour is lovely, much better than the original.