Friday, October 13, 2006

Swallowtail Shawl from IK fall '06


Yarn: Knit Picks Memories (100% Merino Wool; color Redwood Forest), 2 Skeins.
Needles: size 4 circs
This was a super simple knit, and my first complete lace project! I did not use lifelines for this as the pattern was very easy to memorize and mistakes were easy to see. I did forget a few yarnovers, but could easily pick them up on the next row with a crochet hook making this a fun, stress-free knit! I probably could have stretched this a bit more while blocking if I had blocking wires, but alas I have none and had to use pins. All told it took 2 and a half weeks to knit, and an hour to pin for blocking!
The nupps did not present a problem, although they did slow me down a bit (purl 5 together is quite a fiddley stitch!)This is actually a gift for a very understanding secret pal. I hope she likes it along with her other gifts.

9 comments:

sturdygirl said...

the shawl is so lovely! i can't believe it's your first lace project - you are a born lace knitter. :)

Anonymous said...

that came out great! i really want to knit this shawl too.

DAWN said...

That is gorgeous and in one of my most favorite colorways!! Redwood Forest! How big did it end up being? and do you have any tips for purl 5 together?

Amanda said...

Dawn, My shawl ended up being within an inch of the same size as the one in the pattern. I think if I had more experience blocking lace it would have been the same size though.
For the P5tog: make sure to make the nupps(k,yo,k,yo in the same stitch) nice and loose. Bright light helps, as does quiet and solitude.

Lara said...

Wow, that is beautiful! Love the colors too. Your pal will be so happy!

jae said...

Very nice. Congrats!

Persnickety Knitter said...

That shawl is beautiful. Great job!

Anonymous said...

If your SP doesn't like it, I know plenty of other people would. It's gorgeous! And it only took you 2 weeks & you said it was easy??? You go, girl.

TheSteph said...

Wow! It looks great! I've been considering this one, too... :)