Thursday, March 30, 2006

Knot in my noro!!

So I finished 2 washcloths for my neighbor, and decided to pick up the lovely Noro Kureyon I bought on sale at WEBS last week. I have decided my four lovely skeins just have to be felted mary janes. Being the rebel I am, I am not following a pattern and I didn't even test a swatch to see how it felts...We shall see how they turn out. I was planning to match the beginnings of the yarns to make sure the variegation matches up thus having matching mary janes....however, last night I came to a little problem. See it down there? the 5th stitch from the right, that little knot! Do you also notice how the two ends are not even the same color?! Now, I know that this happens, even in nice yarn, but give me a break yarn gods! I know this yarn was an impulse purchase that I really needed like I need another hole in my head, but must I be punished like this? Ahh well, so what to do? I am very open to any suggestion that you ladies in the know have for me. I want the slippers to match...Do I find the similar colors in another skein and graft them like the this one? or Frog and start with a new skein?
You know I so understand now why I have read so many gushing about Noro... I am such a fan already and can think of many things I would like to do with this yarn...the color changes are breathtaking and I feel a haiku coming over me...

Noro Kureyon
a canyon sunset revealed
muted yet vibrant.

later...I have made up my mind to start over and use the above knitted bit as a swatch...felted and everything...

3 comments:

Persnickety Knitter said...

I'm currently using Noro Silk Garden for a stole and MANY of the balls have knots. And the colors are never the same at the knots. I agree it is VERY frustrating. I've decided that the next time I use Noro (which I still can't resist, even with the knots), I will rewind every ball to check for knots.

By the way, do you know of any good patterns for crocheted dishcloths?

TheSteph said...

I've had the same problem with Noro, too. It's so lovely, though. Even if the knotted ends do not match in color, I don't think it will matter too much... Don't fret. :(

Maybe you could cut the yarn after backing out a few stitches and find a section that is closer in color?

Rebecca said...

Ugh. I had this happen with my very first noro purchase. I was so upset/. i 'd spent all of ths time trying to get a matched set of Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers with my pricey $9 a skein yarn, and BLAM a knot in the middle. I frogged and turned the skein inside out to try matching colors. I tried joining leftovers from the old ball into the new to get the correct color changes. Nothing quite worked. I was so sad that I stuffed the whole thing into a ziploc in the back of my stash and swore never to buy noro again.

Then I bought 4 skeins at the WEBS sale.